Do you know what Personality is? Yes, you know Personality. It is the characteristic of a person he feels, thinks, and behaves, which makes him different. Do you know about the big five personality traits and theories?
The big five personality traits are Openness, Conscientiousness, Agreeableness, Extraversion, and Neuroticism. Therefore there are four types of Theories of Personality: Psychoanalytic Theory, Social- Psychological Theory, Trait Theory, and Self Theory.
So in this blog, I will discuss all the things about Personality, its big five personality traits model, and its tests.
WHAT’S IN IT
The Big 5 Personality Trait Models-
The Openness of Personality-
- Those people who are high in this trait are always trying to do new things.
- They are very adventurous to travel and visit new places.
- And they have a broad interest in learning new things.
- However, they are very curious to do new creative things.
- They like changes and are very imaginative.
- And those people who are low in this trait do not like changes, not adventurous, do not like new things.
- Those people who are high in this trait pay more attention to details for organizing day to day activities.
- They always finish their tasks as on as possible.
- And they spend a lot of time preparing things.
- However, they like to schedule things in their day to day life.
- They have a high level of thoughtfulness.
- And those people who are low in this trait do not as things planned, less thoughtfulness, do not like to do the planning.
Extraversion of Personality-
- Those people who are high in this trait always respond positively to the outside world.
- They feel more comfortable around lots of people.
- And they feel very enjoyable meeting new people.
- They enjoy starting a conversation with people.
- It is very easy to make new friends with these people.
- They have a large circle of friends in society.
- And those people who are low in this trait do not have many friends, do not like to start conversations with new people, feel uncomfortable around lots of people.
The Agreeableness of Personality-
- Those people who are high in this trait enjoy helping others in society.
- They take a high interest in other people’s feelings.
- They try to give happiness to other people.
- These people have a high interest in other people’s problems.
- And those people who are low in this trait do not woodier others that what are their problems, feelings, etc.
Neuroticism of Personality-
This is also known as EMOTIONALITY.
- Those people who are high in this trait are very emotional, sad, and moody.
- They take lots of stress for small things.
- And they are emotionally weak.
- They do not deal better with stress.
- They are not adventurous and do not like to travel to new places.
- And those people who are low in this trait are very adventurous, emotionally healthy, remain stress-free.
Theories of Personality-
There are four types of personality theories-
Sigmund Freud gave this theory in 1949. He said that Personality is of 3 types of ID, EGO, SUPEREGO.
This is the theory in which a person’s behaviour is immediate gratification or immediate satisfaction. So his needs are biological or instinctual. The person is unconscious about what he is doing.
In this theory, The person is conscious. Therefore, the person thinks with logic about human Personality, and he is associated with the reality principle.
This is the theory in which a person learns about the values and norms of society & serves as an ethical constraint on behavior. Which helps the person make better decisions.
Social- Psychological Theory-
Karen Horney gave this theory in 1937.
In this, the person helps to meet society’s needs; as a result, society helps him achieve his goals. So, in this, the person is conscious of his needs and wants.
In this theory, the person has a quantitative approach means it makes one person different from another.
This theory determines the behaviour of a person who is introverted and who is extrovert.
Cart Rogers gives this theory. This is also known as Field Theory. In this theory person always think about himself.
There is 4 type of self-theory that is Self Image, Ideal Self, Looking Glass Self, and Real Self.
He was the first to the introduced theory of needs in 1943. He tells that there are five levels of needs of the person.
This is the basic need of a person, which means a person cannot live without food, water, clothes, or shelter.
This is the second level need, which comes when his physiological need is fulfilled. In this, he needs financial security, health, and wellness, safety against accidents and injury.
This is a third level need that comes when his physiological and safety needs are fulfilled. In this, he needs friends, family, social groups, etc.
This is the fourth level need, which comes when his physiological, safety, and love/belonging needs are fulfilled. In this, he wants respect from society, friends, family.
This is the last level of need, which comes when his physiological, safety, love/belonging, esteem needs are fulfilled.
In this, he wants to achieve his goal, and once he achieves his goal, it means satisfaction of his actualization need.
Factors Affecting Personality-
There are five types that affect a person-
This is an essential factor that affects a person’s Personality because every child observes their parents, their habits, how they talk, how they walk, and everything.
Therefore their physical and psychological characteristic is the same as their parents, which becomes part of their Personality.
This is also an essential factor that affects a person’s Personality because when he interacts with different people in society or group, they can be good or bad, but it depends upon him that which person association he or she keeps.
Society plays a crucial role in affecting a person’s personality.
This is also another factor that affects the person Personality when he moves to another culture.
He interacts with different people from different cultures. Which means that their way of living is different; their way of talking is different, their way of wearing clothes is different and many more things.
Still, it depends upon him that which person association he or she keeps.
It also affects a person’s Personality, including land, river, atmosphere, forests, hills, mountains, etc.
All the feelings, emotions, and health of a person are due to Physical Environment, even the colour of a person depends upon the physical environment.
For example,- You can see the difference between urban and rural people’s health, colour, knowledge, and body structure.
This is also an essential factor that affects a person Personality, which varies from person to person.
They act differently according to situations; for example, a teacher reacts strictly in front of the student and not strict in front of his family.
Types of Personality-
These are that type of people who do not like to make new friends. And moreover, they do not want to interact with an unknown person.
They want to live in their imaginary world. And they want to live alone in their room. For example, teachers.
These are that type of people who like to interact with new people. Therefore they want to make new friends and loved to join new groups with more members.
They like to live with many people in the room. For example, divers.
These are those types of people who are the combination of both Introvert and extrovert Personality.
So, they do not have any problem living with any type of parties some time they live alone in the room, and sometimes they live in groups in the room.
In my opinion, the Personality of a person differs from person to person. Five factors affect this that is a biological factor, social factor, cultural factor, physical environmental factor, and situational factor.
A person’s personality can be changed from bad to good Personality by the social factor, cultural factor, physical environmental factor, and situational factor.