What do you think when you think of the “right leader” or the “right person for your team”? You can imagine a person, no matter what problem he encounters, will not lose control of his character. You can also become a person like this by Helping your people developing Emotional intelligence. Or, you are thinking of someone who has confidence in employees, listens to their team, is easy to talk to, and always makes wise and prudent decisions as a leader to help people.
And similarly who are the real good listeners. No matter what situation they are in, they always seem to know what to say and how to say it so that we will not be offended or frustrated. They are caring and considerate to help people. Although they may not find a solution to the problem, they usually leave with greater hope and optimism to help people.
We may also know some people who are proficient in emotional management. Hence they will not get angry under stressful situations. Instead, they can examine problems and calmly find solutions to help people need. Hence they are excellent decision-makers, and they know when to trust their instincts. However, regardless of their strengths, they are usually willing to treat themselves honestly. Although, they accept criticism well and know when to use it to improve performance
These are the characteristics of people with high emotional intelligence.
WHAT’S IN IT
- Do you also want to be like this?
- We talk a lot about Emotional Intelligence but what is it exactly?
- Characteristics of Emotional Intelligence and how it can be improved
- So, what else can you do?
- Ways to change complex skills
Do you also want to be like this?
Well, let me tell you it is not rocket science and you can also become a person like this. You need to be more Self- aware, motivated, and more socially aware. Hence you have to control your emotions and manage them in the right way so that you can lead people more effectively.
Well, nowadays emotional intelligence is very important for your professional success. Companies take separate psychometric tests to check your emotional intelligence level. No organization wants its employees to be low on EQ (Emotional Quotient). They want an optimistic, team player, and emotionally stable employee.
We talk a lot about Emotional Intelligence but what is it exactly?
Emotional intelligence or EI is your ability to understand and process your feelings and humans. People with high emotional intelligence know how they feel, what their feelings mean, and how these feelings affect others.
A person high on EQ knows his emotional state and negative emotions (frustration, sadness, or other more subtle things) very well, and can recognize and deal with them. These people are particularly sensitive to the feelings of others.
So how can these skills be improved or managed??
Before going in depth-first let’s understand the characteristics of Emotional Intelligence, how it works, and what skills you need to have to call yourself an emotionally stable person.
Characteristics of Emotional Intelligence and how it can be improved
According to an American psychologist Daniel Goleman, who helped to popularize emotional intelligence, there are five key elements to it:
While helping your people you need to introduce these concepts and their solutions to them. Encourage them to follow the skill set in increasing their emotional intelligence level.
Given below are five key characteristics of Emotional Intelligence
A person’s high emotional intelligence makes them confident. When people make important decisions in life, they can understand their feelings and control their emotions. Hence they will not control their emotional turbulence and are more likely to pay attention to their strengths and weaknesses.
So, what measures can you take to increase your self-confidence?
- ·Keep a diary -Using a magazine can increase confidence. Side by side taking a few minutes each day to write down your thoughts can increase your confidence.
- Slow down– If you experience anger or other strong feelings, please slow down the inspection process. Remember, no matter what the situation is, you can always choose how to respond.
Emotional intelligence can help people control their emotions and impulses without making them aggressive and jealous. It prepares one to think before reacting to the situation. Hence Self-regulation makes people considerate, adaptable to change, honest, and attentive.
So, how do you improve your ability to regulate?
Know your values
- do you know where you will not compromise? Do you know what values are most important to you? Take the time to check your “ethics”. Hence if you know what is most important to you, you may not have to think twice when faced with ethical or moral decisions-you will make the right choice.
- If you blame others, stop when things go wrong. Commit to accept your mistakes and bear the consequences, regardless of the consequences. Hence you may sleep better at night and quickly earn the respect of others.
Practice keeping calm
- next time you encounter difficulties, please pay attention to your behavior. Can you relieve stress by calling others? Perform deep breathing exercises to calm yourself. Try to write down any negative content you want to say, then tear them up and throw them away. It’s best to express these feelings on paper (don’t show them to anyone!) and speak out to your team. You can also challenge your answer to make sure it is appropriate!
People who deal with high levels of emotional intelligence are motivated. They are happy to be able to deliver high-quality products immediately for long-term success. Also, they faced positive challenges and proved to be more productive and agile in the execution of their tasks.
How can you improve motivation?
Know where you are
- Determine the motivation for leadership. Through our assessment of leadership motivation, you can see your motivation in your leadership role. If you need to improve your leadership skills, you will be taken to resources that can help you.
Hope and do the right thing
- Motivated managers are usually optimistic, no matter what problems they face. Adopting this way of thinking maybe a practice, but it is worth it.
If you face challenges or failures, try to at least understand this situation. When we learn an important lesson, it may be a small thing, such as a new contact, or something that has a long-term impact. But when you look for it, there is almost always something positive.
Another important part of emotional intelligence is compassion, which enables people to know the emotional aspects of others around them without being decisive or conservative. They can handle interpersonal relationships well by understanding the attitudes of others, even non-obvious feelings.
How can you improve empathy?
Put yourself on other people’s shoes
- it’s easy to stand in your position. Ultimately, it’s up to you! But it takes time to look at the situation from the perspective of others. In the article about the conceptual post, you will find a useful way to do this.
Pay attention to body language when
- Listening to others, you can cross your arms, move your legs back and forth or orbit your lip. This body language tells others how you feel in a certain situation, and the message you convey is not positive! Learning body language can be a real asset in a leadership role because you can better determine how someone feels. Hence this allows you to answer appropriately.
Respond to emotions
- Ask your assistant to be late-do it again. As long as he agrees, you can hear his voice disappointing. Therefore, please reply to his feelings. Tell him that you appreciate his willingness to work overtime, and you will be disappointed when you are late. Hence if possible, find a way to reduce trouble late at night in the future (for example, release it on Monday morning).
5. Social skills
People have acquired considerable social and communication skills through a high degree of emotional intelligence. They do not grow up alone but will inspire others to grow, thus reflecting a strong team-building ability. Usually, he also focused on the art of crisis resolution with a broad vision and a proactive spirit.
How do you develop social skills?
Know how to resolve conflicts
- Managers need to know how to resolve conflicts between team members, customers, or suppliers. If you want to succeed, then it is necessary to learn conflict resolution techniques.
Improve your communication skills
- How is your communication level? Our communication quiz will help you answer this question and provide useful feedback on how to improve yourself.
Learn to praise others
- As a leader, only by winning employees can you praise them, which can increase the loyalty of the team. Learning to praise others is good art, but it is worth it.
Well, these are the methods or some of the solutions by which a person can improve emotional intelligence, and as a teammate or leader, one should motivate the people around you to use these methods in their skill-building to help people.
But it’s not going to be very easy. When you have to help other people to be more confident, socially aware, and motivated
So, what else can you do?
- Help people discover their deep and very personal vision for their future,
- Help them discover how their current work may require some work to make the future a reality. These are the first two stages of Richard Boyztis deliberately changing the theory, and we have been testing with leaders for years.
Ways to change complex skills
People can initiate and support changes in complex skills related to emotional intelligence in the following ways:
First, find the dream. When looking after employees, you first need to help figure out the important things in life to help people. Hence only in this way can you proceed with the work that is important to that person. Then help your employees develop a clear and compelling vision for the future, including building strong and positive relationships with family, friends, and colleagues to help people.
Next, find out the actual situation: What is the current state of this person’s emotional intelligence? Just as a person has a powerful dream to draw strength, he is also strong enough to withstand pressure to find out the truth. If you are training him now, you have confidence that he will listen to you. However, this may not be enough to help people need. You want to find a way to get feedback from others through a 360-degree feedback tool (such as ESCI (emotional and social skills list)) or a self-study process for executives (as described in this book). Become an echo leader), where you can directly talk about your EI and other skills with trusted friends.
Once you have dreams and reality, it’s time for interval analysis and learning plans. Please note that I did not say “performance management plan” or “development plan”. The difference in the learning plan is that it is a direct path from a personal point of view, and it requires gradual learning to reach the destination-to truly develop skills to help people.
Developing emotional intelligence can make a difference between success and failure in life and work. Moreover, if you are solely responsible for the contributions of people to the team and the organization, then you will try to help people who are challenged, incompetent, and dangerous. That’s your business.
Also You can Read our Blog on Rewarding Your Team In 12 Powerful Ways | Challenges