Now VAK learning style is one of the most comfortable learning styles, making learning simple and effective as per your understanding. VAK stands for Visual-Auditory-Kinesthetic.
This VAK learning style was introduced in the 1920s by some experts and psychologists. This VAK learning style contains three types of learning styles – Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic. But here is a point which type of learning should you follow. Everyone has a different way of approaching learning. Some take Visual as more effective than the other two while some take Auditory or Kinesthetic as their effective way of learning.
So from the above, we can say that there is no right or wrong way to learn. It entirely depends upon you.
So we should generally analyze all the learning process and find any of the compelling methods of learning which fits on us.
Researchers also suggest that different people choose different learning styles depending on the task.
WHAT’S IN IT
- Dominant learning preference
- Characteristics of VAK learning style
- Helpful Steps For VAK Learning Style
Dominant learning preference
Everyone has a dominant learning preference of their own from the early stage of life. That means someone learns something new more quickly and effectively by listening to it from the early stage are using Auditory learning as their dominant preference. In contrast, others find visual learning a way to learn a more effective way for them, their dominant learning preference. Also, others choose kinesthetic means practically learning style as more effective take it as dominant preference.
According to researchers, everyone has their dominant one or two learning styles, which he uses for learning correctly; however, learning style is changing depending upon the learning situation.
It is also found that people also use all the learning modalities to learn new information, process it, etc.
Characteristics of VAK learning style
VAK learning style mainly focuses on increasing the learning ability that can be done by using the three styles of VAK:- Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic in a perfect way. The learner has to check which style of VAK is more useful to him.
Visual ( Learners )
These types of learners choose to learn the new learning by seeing it or also by visualizing in pictures or text format inside their minds.
They learn more effectively when presented in the form of images, maps, diagrams, graphs, etc.
Visual learners learn more effectively when they get content displayed with the main point in the text.
They also include mind mapping, so charts, graphs, etc. are more likely to absorb in detail by these types of learners.
The qualities of Visual learners are:-
- Enjoy art, aesthetics, etc.
- Always take many notes.
- Love to learn with graphs, diagrams, and pictures with written instructions.
- They are excellent at spelling.
- They are more imaginative.
- Most of the visual learners remember only faces, not the names.
Auditory ( learners )
This type of learner’s VAK learning style prefers listening as his / her best way of learning and always responds best to voice. They always love to learn with the verbal lesson, discussing, talking, speaking, etc.
Most of the time, Auditory learners find talking to themselves according to the VAK learning style, and it is also found that they feel more difficulties while reading or writing tasks and focusing on those.
The qualities of Auditory learners of VAK learning style are:-
- Sensitive with the tone of voice, pitch, etc.
- Comfortable with verbal instructions.
- Find easy-to-follow verbal instructions.
- Prefer to record rather than making notes.
- Tends to learn better while music is on.
- Good at oral presentation and group discussions.
- They may be good speakers.
- Remember only names rather than remembering faces.
Kinesthetic ( learners )
In this Kinesthetic VAK learning style, Learners always prefer to learn with real experience. They always want direct contact or motion with the learning material they get physically learning that ultimately helps them learn more efficiently.
The work Kinesthetic is derived from the Greek work Kineo and Aisthesis. The meaning of Kineo moves, and the meaning of aesthesis is sensation. Overall the meaning of kinesthetic is move – sensation.
Researchers explain that this type of learner may lose their concentration more quickly when there is no external movement or stimulation.
Researchers also say that while listening to a lecture, these learners may take notes just because to move their hands and mostly use color highlighters.
The qualities of Kinesthetic learners of the VAK learning style are
- Enjoy learning physically.
- They are good at sports and physical activities.
- Always express themselves in a natural approach.
- Are restless, always found in motion.
- Good at practical subjects like engineering.
- Also good at problem-solving.
- They always enjoy playing sports and games.
Helpful Steps For VAK Learning Style
There are a lot of steps that VAK ( Visual – Auditory -Kinesthetic ) learners can use to improve their learning on any topic.
Here we will discuss some helpful steps which a VAK learner uses to make their learning more comfortable and productive.
For Visual Learners
- If you are a Visual Learner, Take the information in the form of diagrams, charts, graphs, etc. rather than take it as in text format, it makes the information easy to learn and recall.
- Always try to consume your learning through visuals, which will boost your learning.
- Try to store the learning in the form of colours and pictures to remember it for a more extended period.
- Use handouts and make notes on your learning topic and make keywords.
- Try to create a mind map of the topic which you learned.
- Always make a highlight on the essential points.
- Whenever you only have a choice to learn a topic in the text format, try to relate the text with a picture inside your brain and create a visual form of that learning that makes you learn without complications.
For Auditory Learners
- The Auditory Learners have a vast capability of learning through audio rather than through any other format. So always prefer the Audio format for your learning, which will be more beneficial and useful to you.
- Always try to make records as audio if possible rather than making learning as notes.
- Background music can be helpful to you. But it’s upon you – If you find background music helpful to you, then play it while learning. It is also beneficial for recall.
- Group discussions and oral presentations of a learning topic are found helpful to the Auditory Learners. So try to use it whenever you get any chance to do it.
- Debates and Storytelling are also found helpful for Auditory Learners.
- Discussing and repeating the learning topic makes it easy to remember that topic. So it is also a good idea for Auditory Learners to improve learning.
For Kinesthetic Learners
- Kinesthetic Learners mostly learn physically and practically. So if you are Kinesthetic learners, then try to learn everything in a practical way to make your learning easy, more productive, and can remember for a more extended period.
- Try to choose practical courses as your career, if possible, so that you can do your job by enjoying it a lot.
- Kinesthetic Learners are more likely to restless. They are always found in motion. So make sure that your restless nature is going in the right direction. For example, Kinesthetic Learners can use their restless nature in teamwork for a better result, which gives the right direction to their motion.
- Always prefer to learn in practical format rather than any other format that is more helpful to you. Try to convert into practical if it is found in any other format like text, visual, audio, etc.
From the VAK learning style, We learn that learners have to identify their learning style whether they are Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic learners. They can also consider their Dominant learning preference.
After finding which types of learners they are, they can use the helpful steps to improve their learning based on the preferred learning style.
Another thing is that one can use different learning styles for different tasks if they are comfortable with this learning style.
Also read our blog VAK Learning Styles – Discover Your Learning Style